Sign in to follow this  
Brian Klein

A Mother's Lesson

Do you remember the last time you spoke to your mother? If you do, when was that? Do you remember the last time you expressed how much you love her? and if so, when?

I am unsure if it is only me but I feel that we tend to have this habit of shying away from the expressing how important our mother and or our father is to us. I must admit that I am not used to expressing how much I love my parents. I seldom say those three little words: "I Love You". It is not because I am shy about using them, but rather, I have this mannerism about if I don't feel like saying it, you can never make me say it.

But that changed the moment I learned about my mother's diagnosis. It was November 2016 when the doctors confirmed that my mother had stage 3 ductal carcinoma ( stage 3 breast cancer). I knew that the chance of beating this illness was 50/50. now this didn't stop us from proceeding with the horrors that were to come, so, we followed the physician's advice. She went through the process of chemotherapy.

We knew, cancer was not easy to beat. We knew this would take all of my mother's will and desire to get well. For two years, she continued to fight against the big 'C'. We had urged from different people for her to continue with her required chemotherapy and medication. People were trying to help her in any way they could -- financially, morally, and even for her food.

Her co-church goers became more than a family to us. They were uplifting her spiritually whenever she felt like giving up. None of these people were our family, but they were there for her. I witnessed how these people became apart of her and I could not be more thankful for their generosity.

My mother lost her battle. Her body had given up and became weaker due to the high dosage of medication she received after two years of battling cancer. The hope the family had was still high until the very end since cancer didn't affect any of her other organs. There is and act in what we in our church feel is an act that represents god's request of us; 'our calling in life'. and I felt hers came last March 25, 2018.

It wasn't easy to accept. At this point It wasn't easy to, not, notice all the things she had done for me and my siblings. I know now it is too late to appreciate all the things my mother had done to their children. However, I must point out, one  tends to notice these little lessons a lot more when they aren't around us any longer.

I must admit, I miss every thing about my mother. I miss all the things she did whenever I would go and visit her. I miss all of her. I am not saying that I didn't appreciate everything she had done for me, I just realize nowadays, it did take this for me to understand appreciation, I miss her more now than ever.

I have noticed this is one of the things we tend to forget; we tend to forget to show appreciation with whatever our parents do for us when they are around. It isn't to late for those whose mothers are still around, for them to see this point of view. Take a moment to let your parents know how much you appreciated all their efforts and all they do for your life -  just to make sure that you are in a good position.

It has only been less than nine days since she left us permanently but I do miss my mother so. rest well.

- Michelle Dawson