Sign in to follow this  
Brian Klein

Why Old Friends Matter

Video  

Video Description:

• We were friends with someone, a time back. At one stage, it might be decades ago now, we had a lot in common: we were both good at math but bad at French at school and had a shared liking for table tennis; or we had adjacent rooms at college and used to help each other with assignments and commiserate in the bar about failed dates or maddening parents; or maybe we were interns in the same big firm. These individuals remind us of where we come from, who we were; have we lost such a part of ourselves that we want to just throw away a piece of who we were (and still are).

In This Episode:

• We explore what the old ties, to those friends you grew up, can do and why these ties actually matter.

Please remember that this is a discussion on this particular set of episodes, not a free for all.

Both my 'real' friends are now dead and one other who I have lost touch with and have no idea where he is now, or even if he is still alive.  The first of my 'real' friends (I emphasise 'real' because a lot of people profess to be your friend, but really you are just a convenience for them) I went to school with, so we literally grew up together.  When we left school the friendship remained and as we did not live far from each other, we saw a lot of each other.  In fact we started our first band together, but finding bandmates was a very difficult task because of conflicting musical tastes (we liked rock music). However, we grew apart when he got married and took on new responsibilities.  My other 'real' friend was my drinking buddy and we painted the town red on more than one occasion.  Sadly his work took him hundreds of miles from where I lived and he died, alone, in his caravan; that really shook the earth from under my feet.

My other good friend was a very wise man and he taught me a lot about life through his sayings and tales.  We shared good wine and music every Monday evening and therein are some tales to tell.  But he divorced and move away to goodness knows where, and as I mentioned at the start I have no idea if he is still alive.

This topic also reminds me of a song (below) I happened across a little while ago and took me back through memory lane of those great times that we shared. They may be gone from this earth, but they remain in my memories and in my heart.  So, this may be an opportune time to remind everyone that good friends are a rarity and should be nurtured and kept close to your heart - forget the so-called rainy day friends, they will come and go as they please, but the 'real' ones will always stay no matter what.  Enjoy the song and go down memory lane: