Sign in to follow this  
Brian Klein

His Name Was Harry

Video  

How do you grieve for someone you never got the chance to know, never grew up with to see how they would turn out and never know how they may have influenced your own life?

My brother died when he was seven years old, barely scratching the surface of a life he would never come to realise. I was two years old at the time, so memories of my brother are vague and fleeting. Sixty years later and I find myself grieving for the brother I never got to know.

It’s not the immediate and impacting grief that someone would experience from losing someone close, such as a mother, father, grandmother, etc. this was a slow burning grief that only showed its face recently.  As I was clearing out for a house move I discovered a little package of items that were unknown to me; it was several school work books, letters of condolence and items that my brother had made along with some of his Cubs and Scout objects.  There was also a double wallet photo book with two amazing photos of my brother.

Alone and looking over these amazing slices of a time gone by, there was a tug at my heart and I knew there was grief in the air. Grief for a brother I never got to grow up with, grief for wondering how he would have turned out, grief for wondering what, if any, influence he would have played in shaping my own life.  There was also grief for my mother to have suffered the pain of losing a child for so many decades until her passing.

I knew of my brother but did not know my brother.  Finding these items gave me a glimpse of his early life and achievements and based on what I discovered I just knew my brother would have grown up to be a good person and we would have been best of friends.

My only recollection and memory of my brother was when he had just started school and my mother was telling me that it would be my turn soon.  I wasn’t happy at the prospect, bear in mind I was only two years old at the time, and my brother put his arm around me and said, “don’t worry, I’ll look after you”.  How strange that in those two years in my life and the seven years in my brother’s, that is all I can recall.

My mother and father never spoke about my brother, or even told me of these amazing items in a treasure trove of memories existing.  I guess it was a painful topic for them and they did not want to revisit those times.  It’s a shame that they could not tell me about my brother as I would have loved to have known more about him.  I was too timid to ask for fear of causing upset, so I steered clear of the subject; more fool me in hindsight.

So, seeing my brother’s little treasure trove, reading the condolences and telegrams from family, friends and school teachers, seeing the items he had made for the Christmas tree and all the other amazing items that told a story of a young boy who was never to be; it brought a tear to my eye and an ache in my heart.  Even finding out that his birthday was on September 6th was a revelation to me – I buy a birthday card now and say a little prayer to let his Spirit know that I am thinking of him, even after all these years.

My brother’s name was Harry and he is now a part of my life, even if only in Spirit and for those wonderful items I found by chance; they say that everything happens for a reason, finding out a little about my brother Harry must have been meant to be.  I feel a better and humbler person for that find.

Grief is a very personal experience and it knows no time – it can be fleeting, or it can last a lifetime.  Remembering is the best and the worst of those times, it can lift your Spirits or it can break your heart over and over and over again, but I would not swap those feelings or the experience of grief for anything.

Finding my brother has helped me to find a part of me that was missing; for two years I lived alongside with my brother, for a lifetime and beyond I will love him always.

- David Cobbledick

Harry.thumb.jpg.c24d22f091b691a7448f74a8ed8b1410.jpg

Edited by Humanastorian

2 hours ago, Dave Cobbledick said:

Thank you for adding that story for me Brian - it gives me comfort to know that the story has been told for others to view.

:)

Oh my new friend, my sweet, little, angelic, innocent friend! We will do more than that, your story has become part of the Humanastory! You sir have done more for us than you will fully understand, by telling your story - YOU, may just help someone in need. That carries more weight then we could have hoped. Your struggle serves as a reminder to all, how fragile life really is. By sharing this intimate part you, you are now part of the Humanastory Family, don't you forget it! 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Dave Cobbledick said:

Thank you for adding that story for me Brian - it gives me comfort to know that the story has been told for others to view.

:)

We have added your brother's photograph you have sent us into the story!

Wow what a difference a photograph can make to a story.  Seeing who is being talked about adds a whole new layer to the story.  Thanks for adding that Brian.  

A1.png.d0a7769dc6f897c1564142a91b702ae3.png

2 hours ago, Dave Cobbledick said:

Wow what a difference a photograph can make to a story.  Seeing who is being talked about adds a whole new layer to the story.  Thanks for adding that Brian.  

A1.png.d0a7769dc6f897c1564142a91b702ae3.png

It is interesting you mention that, I was thinking the exact same thing.